Finnair launched its new business class product and introduced a new Premium Economy cabin in February (read more here).
Finnair then disclosed the number of points (miles) members earn for the Premium Economy (read more here) and how many miles members need for Premium Economy awards (read more here).
You can access Finnair Plus here.
The airline, however, has not disclosed the number of points and upgrade certificates required for economy to premium economy and from premium economy to business upgrades until today:
Point charges for upgrading your travel class
The prices in the table below are for travel class upgrades in one direction.
Please note that if you purchase your travel class upgrade from Economy Class to Business Class through our customer service, there is an extra charge of 1,000 points per direction.
Upgrades to or from Premium Economy are currently available only via our customer service. You will not need to pay the 1, 000 points extra charge for those.
*Copenhagen, Gothenburg, Krakow, Moscow, Oslo, Stockholm, St. Petersburg, Reykjavik, Riga, Tallinn, Tartu, Vilnius and Warsaw. Please note that there is no Business Class on flights within Finland.
**Including Dubai and Tel Aviv. Business Class may not be available on all European routes.
Finnair Plus members can upgrade from economy to premium economy using 20,000 points or two short-haul upgrade certificates.
The upgrades from premium economy to business require 30,000 points or one long-haul upgrade voucher.
The economy to premium economy upgrades are quite reasonable and good use for two short-haul upgrade vouchers.
Using Finnair Plus points from premium economy to business makes more sense than burning a long-haul upgrade cert that you can use for economy to business, bypassing the premium economy cabin altogether.
Here are the terms and conditions of the upgrade awards:
- Travel class upgrades are only available for scheduled Finnair flights (AY code on the ticket and the flight is operated by Finnair).
- If your ticket number starts with 105, you can upgrade your travel class on our website or through the mobile application latest 36 hours before your departure.
- Travel class upgrades with points are not available for Finnair Plus award flights or Money+Points offers.
- The corresponding number of points or Gold, Platinum and Platinum Lumo member benefit upgrades will be debited from the account when booking the award.
- Travel class upgrades can only be done after the original reservation has been confirmed and the flight ticket has been issued.
- Upgrades may not be confirmed until 37 hours before the flight, depending on the availability of seats on the aircraft. If we cannot confirm the upgrade 37 hours before the flight, your place on the waitlist will be cancelled and your points/upgrade benefits will be automatically refunded within 1–4 business days. Please note that the upgrade benefits’ expiration date will stay the same after the refund and the upgrade benefits will not be refunded if the expiration date has passed.
- A travel class upgrade has no effect on the rules governing the original tickets.
- In case of rerouting, you will travel in the original travel class.
- Finnair Plus points are always awarded according to the original travel class and booking class of the ticket.
- Only a limited number of seats are available for travel-class upgrade booking classes.
- Travel class upgrades are not available at specified times and on certain routes.